Sunday 21 November 2010

Am I letting other people's opinions get in my head?

I've been dating a guy for the past few years. We've been close on and off for the past 10 years. At this point I really can't picture my life without him - gone thru high school, spoke thru college, ups and downs. We are living together and as we get older the M word keeps popping up from friends. ';When are you gonna get married?!'; Up until this point it was fun to talk about the question - now I find myself slightly freaking out.



This guy is perfect on paper. Takes care of me in every way imaginable, 9 times out of 10 puts me first before anything he wants to do, makes me laugh - not only when out, but just laying around on a typical Tuesday night, and shares some common passions that I have. Perfect right?



He has a few faults - likes to stay in and lay around when I love to dance and hit up the bars with girls (although he never objects to me going without him - but I do want hm there ya know?), he can get very serious - not in like a terrible way, but when it comes to money, and being responsible, etc. I've been sort of a free spirit. Ya know, act and then figure it out later? I always used to think this made both of us balanced, but now I'm worried its actually holding both of us back - keeping us from being who we really are? Him being dragged out by me, or me staying with him sitting on the couch?



And now more and more people have mentioned - you never find the one you are supposed to be with in high school. And now I can't get it out of my head. Because when you think about it - it's true!! How many people are happily married now to their high school sweetheart. Not alot.



I've dated a few other guys - mostly jerks - so how can I be sure? Anytime I stick my neck out there to meet some other guy, I find myself turned off by the fact they don't do what my guy does. Am I just letting outside opinions get under my skin? Or am I really having hesitations because of something else and just too comfortable?Am I letting other people's opinions get in my head?
As you say he sounds perfect on paper...on paper you sound really immature. Until you mentioned college, I thought this was written by someone still in high school.

When I see people in their late 20's or into their 30's still hitting the bars and clubs...I think losers. Not that you have to stay at home all the time, but most people mature beyond clubs and start actually having a life and other interests and aren't club hopping.

I think life may answer your question on it's own soon enough and the guy will outgrow you and move on and find someone more mature.

I'm a free spirit myself, but I still balance my checkbook and pay the bills on time not act now and figure it all out later. There is free spirit and then there is immature and it sounds like you have the two confused.Am I letting other people's opinions get in my head?
Sometime having different interests in a good thing. Its can actuually become really irratating when you have everysingle thing in common.



Maybe make a plan that every other friday you will go out to a club or bar together. And every other tuesday you will stay in and rent a movie or order pizza. That way, you both get to share your time doing what you both enjoy equally.



Im pretty much the same with the financial thing. I mean, I take care of what I have to, but I dont get all serious or overworried about it either. The important thing is to be able to be who you are, together, comfortably.



Some people fall in love in kindergarden or high school or anytime throughout life. Some people dont get married until they're 80. Dont worry about what others say or think. It's your life and your relationship. Do what you feel is right.
You are lucky to have a good guy as your BF. You should learm to be more responsible just like your BF as you grow older. Your BF sounds like a very level-headed guy.



So, yes - stop listening to crappy advice on whether high school sweethearts stay or not. There are many people in the country who have been extremely successful and lived with their high school sweethearts for ever. So, do not stereotype.

No comments:

Post a Comment